Monday, November 3, 2008

Mount Kurama

Today, Monday, was a school holiday in Japan. Our school, Nihongo Center (日本語センター), organized a hike up nearby Mount Kurama. We all met at the school and then took the subway out of Kyoto and then switched to a train to take us to the base of the mountain.

Mount Kurama is a mountain to the north-west of the city of Kyoto. It is the birthplace of the Reiki practice, and is said to be the home of Sōjōbō, king of the tengu, who taught swordsmanship to Minamoto no Yoshitsune.

Below are some photos taken along the way. In case you have noticed (if anyone is still reading this blog), I am more into photos and less into commentary . . .







The leaves are just starting to change, and in a couple of weeks fall should be brilliantly showing. It might be a good time to return. Also, I think it would be nice to return after some snowfall in the winter to view the scenery.


Just getting going.


Some of the trees we saw were 600 & 700 years old. One was even 1000 years old!


Here we have reached our destination. All-in-all the hike was not too bad. Some good spirited exercise.

Erik, the crazy Swede, adjusts to the mountain air.

Another Swede climbs trees.

Heading back down.

Not sure what these flowers are, but I know their name in Japanese, NOT. I'm not too good with flower names in English (or Japanese). I also saw blue and yellow versions of the same flower. I'll get a close-up next time.

More ema (絵馬).

2 comments:

D.R.M said...

Nice shots..you´re a good photographer...

Laurana Majere said...

Waaa~~!!! Amazing pictures!! and also great blog!! ^___^
Are you studying in Japan?? It must be fantastic!
I'm a Spanish girl and all my life I wanted to visit this country (finally, the next year I'll go to Japan!). These places that you've described seem to be so beutiful, I want to visit them too!
And, well, I think that You´ve really enjoyed this scholar trip, didn't you? ^__~

See you!!!

(I hope you could understand me when I write in English ^^U).