Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Eiger Trail Hike

The next day I took the train up to hike the Eiger Trail. It is quite expensive to go all the way to the top at the Jungfraujoch (around 160 Swiss Francs round trip), so I stopped one station short at Eigergletscher to do the Eiger Trail hike. Here are the trains that go up and down the mountain.


Some scenery on the way up.

Almost there. From here, one can see the Jungfraujoch station quite clearly now.

Close-up.

We stop briefly at Kleine Scheidegg. Last time I was here it was much colder and snowing and there were crazy 'techers about.

My stop. A view from the Eigergletscher station.

Start of the trail.

Not sure what the large pool of water is for.

Attempt at a self portrait.

On the trail.

There was a large group of Japanese tourists taking a break as I passed by.

Many more spectacular views follow.





There was still a bit of snow up here even in the middle of summer.

And some waterfalls.


Switchbacks that start down toward Grindelwald.



I saw a few large stone with engravings, but I am not sure what they say.

Here they had some solar cells hooked up to power the electric fence for the cows.

Almost back down.

Quite the collection of cow bells displayed outside this home.

Snow white and the seven dwarves.

Some more dwarf figures.

No comments: